Rip, Tear, Break & Destroy! We are inviting families to join us in tearing down household items as part of a wider conversation around building a circular economy. Gather all your
Rip, Tear, Break & Destroy! We are inviting families to join us in tearing down household items as part of a wider conversation around building a circular economy.
Gather all your old, docile and unwanted household ‘things’ that you were unable to repair or simply grew out of love with.
Together with KIONDO Labs; and alongside local families & friends, we will learn how the disassembling of these items is not only liberating but leads to our further understanding of design-technology, construction and the underpinning philosophies behind them; enabling you and your family to build up the confidence to start tinkering with items yourselves.
What is a Teardown Lab?
Teardown labs are workshops where intergenerational groups are charged to reverse-engineer a range of objects in order to develop a deeper understanding of their design and construction; without the fear of breaking them along the way.
We encourage members to help one another to feel at home, get to know each other and share experiences over some ‘casual destruction’.
Because of this, Teardown participants often find that these experiences support their mental health & personal well-being; allowing members to ‘omit their needless things’, to the scope of learning and personal development. As a result, Teardown experiences generate a huge sense of personal release, leading to fulfilment once the item is completely taken apart (*destroyed).
Teardown Labs lead to our further awareness of material loops & waste production; helping to motivate participants to repair items themselves, learn how to make them better, and adopt more holistic practices surrounding their consumer behaviour in the future.
What will we be doing?
1. Gather, Greet, Mingle and Share Food & Experiences with others
2. Reveal your chosen items to the group
3. PURGE! – completely disassemble your item using all available tools and techniques.
4. Sort & Arrange
5. Rationalise, Understand & Reflect
Do I need to bring anything?
KIONDO Labs provide the tools and the safety equipment you will need to get started. You will need to bring:
– 1 x Item you want to take apart | …which you cannot justify occupying space in your house anymore, or are simply willing to sacrifice in an attempt to discover what is inside.
– Almost Any Item | We can disassemble: Household products, Furniture, Accessories, Clothing, old/new Technology, Jewellery, Toys, Electricals, even automotive and other vehicles. Basically, anything you can think of. We cannot disassemble chemical materials such as batteries due to potential harm from chemical contact.
– No Size Restrictions | There is nothing too big or too small, as long as you can get it the venue safely
Do I need experience?
No experience is required. All you need is the drive to learn or the urge rid yourself of a disdained object.
Are there any Age Restrictions?
No, this is a family-friendly activity. Anyone from 0 – 99+ is able to get involved (be it spectating or getting stuck in).
(Saturday) 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Gather Dudley CIC
Gather, 65 High Street, Dudley DY1 1PY
Gather Dudley CICGather, 65 High Street, Dudley DY1 1PY